Tuesday, March 26, 2024

 The following is a post I made 5 years ago.  Our Central Texas Treasure Club doesn't allow our Members to use shovels in public parks or other public areas.  This old post explains why.

I just posted this in response to a shovel-happy post on a detecting forum.
"Never use a shovel in city parks or on public property. When I started detecting, 50 years ago this summer, we were all taught how to retrieve our targets cleanly using only a long-blade flat-head screwdriver. We were also well-aware of the Metal Detecting Code of Ethics and most of us followed that Code religiously. As a result, for my first 10 or 15 years in the hobby, detector bans in city parks or school yards were unheard of. In the early 80's, after I wore my granddad's screwdriver out, I purchased a 3-in-1 digging knife and I've used the same knife ever since. Shovels should only be used out in the country, on private property with permission of course, when looking for buried caches or large relics. The popularity of shovels in the hobby is the #1 cause of detectors being banned on public property. Keep it up and you'll soon see one of these in every park in your town or city. And don't give me that foolish argument about needing a shovel because of hard soil. The dirt doesn't get any harder than it is in my area of central Texas when it's dry."
Jay Longley, President, Central Texas Treasure Club

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Our New Members - Friou & Alvis!

  We've had 2 new dues-paid Central Texas Treasure Club Members join our Club since the last regular monthly meeting! Please join me in...